Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Warrior, Innocent, or maybe something different

I've been in several discussions lately about what type of heroine I like--to read and to write. I decided that it would be a good thing for a blog.

The strong, warrior heroine has always been one of my favorite types of heroines to read. She jumps in and is ready to kick some butt beside her man at a moments notice. She's also very easy to write about. I seldom have to wonder what she'll do in a situation, because she's so assertive. I like writing about a woman who knows what she wants and is willing to go after it.

But then, I have to admit that sometimes the emotional impact of an Innocent heroine does draw me into the story. I'm not necessarily talking about the heroine being a virgin. The innocent heroine I have in mind is the naive heroine, the inexperienced female, thrown into a situation she's never encountered before. Maybe she's unfamiliar with the hard reality of life. I know that sometimes these heroines can come off as much too sweet and much too naive, but once in a while they can grab my emotions and never let go.

Then we have the crusader, another type that I love to read. She's so caught up in attaining her goal, fulfilling her quest, that she can sometimes miss what's right in front of her. It's her dedication to this cause that makes her admirable, but it also makes for a lot conflict in personal relationships.

Now, I know there are many more types of heroines than I have listed. When I'm writing, my heroines end up a mixture of many character archetypes, maybe a warrior/ crusader, maybe a mixture of crusader and innocent. As a reader, some of my favorite heroines' characters have traits from each of the types I've listed.

Readers, do you have a favorite type of heroine you like to read? Does a certain type of heroine just get on your nerves to the point that you'll stop reading the book? Tell me what you like about them and what you dislike.

And writers, do you find you write about one type of heroine more than others? Do you find it easier to write about one type of heroine more than others? What type of heroines are the easiest for you to write?


Posted by Unknown :: Link :: 1:57 AM :: 8 Comments

---------------------------------------